Eating wild edible snails from your garden and countryside isn't the usual recipe i put up here, because i usually focus on wild edible plants. Well a few days ago i stumbled across a whole tribe of snails, all various species which i am not even going to go into.
- Three handfuls of wild garden snails etc.
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Long sewing needle
- Before cooking your snails you first need to purge them of shit and grit.To do this sprinkle fine oatmeal onto the bottom of a large ice cream box and add your washed snails. Make sure the lid has lots of holes and is well ventilated, because you don't want your snails to get too hot. Feed them on oatmeal for about 3-4 days, then fast (starve) them for a further two days.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and drop your snails into it. Bring it back to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. When done, get a long sewing needle and hike the snails out of their shells.
- Melt lots of butter and gently sautee the crushed garlic until transparent, then throw in the snail meat and gently fry for 3 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and salad.