In this Sea Purslane recipe, the gorgeous flavours of sea purslane, wild fennel seeds, and fresh mackerel merge together to create a fish cake full of seashore tastes. This must-try Sea Purslane recipe will have every seashore lover going back for seconds.
- 2 medium sized Mackerel
- 500g of just boiled potatoes
- 100g Sea Purslane ( Halimione portulacoides )
- 15g Kelp
- ½ tsp ground Wild Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fresh Marjoram
- Plain flour
- Egg (Beaten)
- Boil the potatoes until just done. You don't want them too watery. Then mash.
- Grill mackerel until done, then debone and flake, then add to the potato mash.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, remove and soak the kelp for 30 minutes, then slice finely and add to mash.
- Finely chop the raw Sea Purslane, and add to mashed potatoes.
- Next add the wild fennel seeds, fresh marjoram, beaten egg, and 4 tbsp of plain flour.
- Form into small cakes no thicker than 2cms, and gently shallow fry for 3-4 minutes on each side in hot oil until browned.
Makes: Makes 8 fish cakes.